I have acted as an expert witness and offered litigation support in matters such as divorce, replacement value of photo productions, standard licensing fees, stock photo industry standards and trade practices. I am a recognized authority on business practices, licensing and valuations in the professional photography industry. I have prepared expert reports and appraisals, been deposed many times and testified in both federal and state courts in several jurisdictions.
My CV and references are available upon request.
- Valuation of intellectual property and copyrights associated with photography as it impacts future licensing revenue
- The value of fine art prints as part of a business evaluation
- Replacement value for production losses based on leading production teams on over 200 shoots in the U.S. and Europe
- Analysis of past revenue from image licensing
- Industry standards and trade practices in licensing, pricing and usage
- Business valuation for sole proprietorships and corporations in the commercial imaging business
- Licensing models in image licensing businesses, especially of existing or stock photography
“It was the best expert witness presentation that I ever saw. Considering the underlying facts you had to work with, it was amazing.”
- Attorney for photographer/plaintiff
“Ellen Boughn was retained near the end of the designation period and, in a very short time, was able to digest the evidence and produce an opinion that was well-founded and persuasive. Her opinion was instrumental in our achievement of a satisfactory settlement.”
- Attorney for publisher/defendant
“The Legal team at (client) and (client’s attorney) have sung your praises and thanked me profusely for putting them in contact with you! I told them I had found you impressive: articulate, professional and well respected in our industry.”
- Individual that referred Boughn to an in-house legal staff
I am based in the Seattle area and available for travel both nationally and internationally.