I have acted as an expert witness and offered litigation support in matters such as divorce, replacement value of photo productions, standard licensing fees, stock photo industry standards and trade practices. I am a recognized authority on business practices, licensing and valuations in the professional photography industry. I have prepared expert reports and appraisals, been deposed many times and testified in both federal and state courts in several jurisdictions. Please visit my professional services pages to learn more about my qualifications, experience and skills as an expert witness.
- Valuation of intellectual property and copyrights associated with photography as it impacts future licensing revenue
- The value of fine art prints as part of a business evaluation
- Replacement value for production losses based on leading production teams on over 200 shoots in the U.S. and Europe
- Analysis of past revenue from image licensing
- Industry standards and trade practices in licensing, pricing and usage
- Business valuation for sole proprietorships and corporations in the commercial imaging business
- Licensing models in image licensing businesses, especially of existing or stock photography
“It was the best expert witness presentation that I ever saw. Considering the underlying facts you had to work with, it was amazing.”
- Attorney for photographer/plaintiff
“Ellen Boughn was retained near the end of the designation period and, in a very short time, was able to digest the evidence and produce an opinion that was well-founded and persuasive. Her opinion was instrumental in our achievement of a satisfactory settlement.”
- Attorney for publisher/defendant
“The Legal team at (client) and (client’s attorney) have sung your praises and thanked me profusely for putting them in contact with you! I told them I had found you impressive: articulate, professional and well respected in our industry.”
- Individual that referred Boughn to an in-house legal staff
I am based in the Seattle area and available for travel both nationally and internationally.